Trial Ordered in Park Killing
A San Francisco judge has held the man accused of strangling another man to death in Buena Vista Park last year to stand trial on murder and other charges.
However, Superior Court Judge Bruce Chan said Monday, November 19 that there wasn’t enough evidence to sustain an additional accusation that David Munoz Diaz, 23, had robbed the victim, Freddy Canul-Arguello, 23. Canul-Arguello’s burned, mostly naked body was found with a partially melted recycling bin early in the morning of June 10, 2011.
Robbery has been the only motive Assistant District Attorney Heather Trevisan has suggested in the killing, which Deputy Public Defender Alex Lilien has called "a terrible accident."
Near the conclusion of the preliminary hearing Monday, Trevisan told Chan that it hadn’t been disputed that Diaz took Canul-Arguello’s cell phone and wallet, and she said there hadn’t been an opportunity for anyone else to have taken those and other items.
Trevisan said that Diaz took Canul-Arguello to the park, killed him, robbed him, stuffed his body in the recycling bin, and set him on fire.
"The murder was done to facilitate this taking," she said. She also said that Diaz had been "repeatedly shown to be lying" and "minimizing" his actions.
Responding to questions from Lilien Monday, police homicide Inspector Daniel Dedet said, "To be quite honest, I don’t know the motive" for the killing.
At the beginning of the two-day hearing late last month, Dedet said that to his knowledge, Canul-Arguello’s messenger bag, boots, wallet, and phone haven’t been recovered.